FAQ

Hi guys!

As I often get the same questions I thought this kind of blog entry might be nice. I started writing on this quite some time ago and finally found the time to finish it.
I hope this will answer some of your questions :)

What is the meaing of the name "La Esmeralda"?
It doesn’t have any deeper meaning to me, Esmeralda was just the name that I always used for my video game characters and similar stuff. When I wanted to create an account at deviantArt Esmeralda was already chosen by someone else so I put the „La“ in front of it… and then I kept this name as I had no better idea. Today I think that it was a pretty good choice as many people always compared me to this character anyway.

What is your nationality?
I am from germany.
I know that my name and my look might make people think I am spanish but unfortunately I don't speak anything but german, english, latin (well, you can't actually call it "speaking") and a little bit of french. My whole family is from germany and as far as I know there haven't been any relatives from spain, italy, russia, indonesia or anywhere else. 

 Also, as people were asking where exactly I live: I live in Kiel, in the very north of the country.


How to start if you want to become an alternative model
I wrote a blog entry about this theme wich is in german - you can find it *here*. If you don't speak german you can find another and probably more detailed article about this theme at Lady Amaranths page.

Good advice for girls that really want to start?
Do what you love and don’t let other people tell you how to be or what to look like. Advice is always good but the fact that some people think that you might be too short or not thin enough to be a model doesn’t mean you are! If you want to be a model you just need to work for it and have the passion to work for your dreams . If it doesn’t work the way you planned try another way – but never give up!
Very important: Don't do anything that you don't feel comfortable with. If you want to do nudes, for example, do them! But NEVER do it just because a guy with an expensive camera tells you this would make you famous.

When did you start modeling and how?
In 2009. I had always loved to take pictures with my friends and one day I made an account at model-kartei.de - the next day was the day of my first "real" photo shoot and I soon got motivated to do many more.


Being an alternative model - as a full time job?
Well, I am sure there are some girls who can make a living from it but I don't and I don't want to. I have another full-time job because modeling is just something that I love, not something that I have to do. It is a lot more than a hobby and I actually make some money with it but usually I spend everything that I earn on materials for other shooting projects and all this stuff. The money that I get usually just covers the hours of shooting, not the countless hours I spend preparing shoots and sewing stuff. I also work a lot with designers who sponsor me and even if I always love to get pretty things these usually don't pay my bills either ^^
I only do the shoots I really like, not the ones that pay my bills. Even if I am very busy with modeling and usually have many shooting request I only do the things that are really interesting as I am rather an artist than a model - and this would probably be different if I needed every job to make some money.


Is that your real hair?
Yes, my long brown curls are real. I posted a little entry about hair care some time ago, You will find it *here*


How do you get a figure like that? What is your workout?
I honestly don't have a perfect figure - I have a very normal BMI. As this is a question that I get very often I posted a blog entry about this before - you can find it *here*


Do you wear corsets all the time? Did you get your figure by wearing corsets?
No. I love wearing them but I don't do it everyday and I am not really doing "corset-training".
I am very lucky because I have a naturally tiny waist and just love the feeling of a tight laced corset. My smallest one is 18 inch and you probably can't wear that when you aren't used to wearing corsets at all and don't have the natural tiny waist. Also, made-to-measure corsets are way better than cheap stuff from china and it is very important to wear a made to measure corset if you want to do corset training.
So I am used to that feeling and love it a lot but I didn't change my figure in general.
In everyday life I also wear jeans and comfortable hoodies ;)




Why no "natural" shoots?
Because they bore me ;)
I wouldn't say that I am a normal model - being in front of a camera is a great way to express myself. I don't just take fashion photos - it is some kind of art for me and there is much more to my work than just modeling for catalogues. Sometimes I also take simple fashion shoots wich is a lot of fun, too but creativity and the colourful fairy tale world La Esmeralda lives in are very important to me. Before I got involved in modeling I used to draw and paint a lot and the themes were pretty similar... but I think I am better with modeling than I was with drawing ;)
Anyway, I can be normal all day so I don't see why I should take normal photos. And well, I guess the bandshirts and jeans or other typical gothic clothes I am wearing in my free time are not as interesting as corsets and high heels but here is something a bit more normal for you, in case you want to see me without all the make-up and retouch in photoshop.



Where do you get your inspiration from?
I am not sure about that, I guess there are a million things that inspire me. Often I see an outfit or accessoire and a story starts to grow in my mind - but it can also be just the other way round. Also I find inspiration in dreams and nightmares, music, movies, comics and videogames, things that I see when I walk through the city - and of course many amazingly talented models, designers and photographers. I love watching artworks and sometimes I think about the story and what else one could do with it.


My opinion about the gothic/alternative szene
Actually I am not sure wich category would suit me and I never was. I have been listening to heavy metal and stuff like that for many years. The first festival I ever visited was the Wacken Open Air in 2005 and I have been visiting it ever since. (Actually I am not sure if I will visit it in 2014 as it lost a lot of the awesome feeling that one had there during the last years).
I also love gothic music and electronical stuff and gothic festivals like the WGT and M'era Luna are pretty awesome as well. I couldn't say that I am a trve metalhead or a goth or whatever but it definitely is the szene that I love. Even if my photos often are pretty colourful and light I usually wear black in everyday life - but it would be boring only to take dark photos and I really love glitter and fairy tales.


Being vegetarian
I have been vegetarian all my life and can't really remember the taste of meat. Not only that I feel sorry for the killed animals - the more important reason for me is that I think it is disgusting to eat something dead. That also is the reason for me not to wear anything made of leather, fur or bones... one doesn't need to eat meat or to wear fur to survive these days.
Chocolate is the biggest reason for me not to live completely vegan but the more I think about it the more I think it would be the right way. My make-up is not completely vegan but when I buy something new I usually try to buy products that are vegan or that at least without animal experiments.
My family uses to eat a lot of meat, my uncle is a huntsman and I have grown up with sheepskins, antlers and other things in our house. I always was the only one who didn't want to eat it and who didn't like to sit on a skin but as long as they let me eat my potatoes I let them eat their meat without discussing it. If someone wants to eat meat or to wear fur he can do that - I won't judge him. I just hate it when other people want to convince me to eat meat and start one of these endless discussions. Anyway, this is just my opinion and everyone should do what he thinks is best for him/her.

Love <3


Where did you learn to do your make-up?
I have never visited any make-up school nor done any other courses. I think I started doing my make-up when I was about 12 or 13 years old - I don't remember the things I made then but they have for sure not been looking as good or professional as they do these days. Trying different things and getting some experience is the best way to find out how it works, next to make-up schools of course.
I used to watch some tutorials that I found on youtube. People asked me to do a tutorial about how I do my make-up but as there already are thousands of great tutorials I don't see why I should do another one to tell the same things over and over again. Well, maybe I will make a blog entry with some simple tips one day.
Oh and I don't use expensive make-up. Some of my friends say that Mac is the best brand EVER, for example, but I usually use products that you get at drugstores (P2 and Essence don't test their products on animals) and another brand that I really love is KIKO.
I am trying to avoid buying products that are tested on animals - but for being honest, some of my products are. I wished I could use everything I find and only use the cruelty free products but unfortunately I have some allergies wich make it a bit difficult.


Sewing/ crafting
I love to sew and have many ideas for new outfits and accessoires. People already asked me if I would sell one or another of my dresses but I usually do that for me and would not sell them - well, maybe I could do it one day, if I get good enough with it.
Also people asked me how I made my dresses and accessoires and if I could give them some advice. It is easy to make a dress - all you need is a pattern, fabric and a sewing machine ;)
About crafting -  "Try and error" is the best way to learn something, even if it would of course be easier if other people told you exactly how to do it. I guess you find a tutorial about everything when you google a bit but the most important thing is an own idea and some creativity.


And here is a thing many people are wondering about: Aren't all models super arrogant and jealous and do they have any real friends?
I am sure there are many people like this. I also met some of these people myself and once thought they were my friends but had to find out that I was wrong and to them success was more important than friendship.
For my part I prefer to spend my time with honest and funny people and even if I of course meet some people that I don't like to hang out with I found my best friends because of modeling. I would never want to miss Jumeria Nox, Aurelia Isabella and Ashtrayheart in my life, to name just my closest friends.
I know many great models, photographers and designers that I always love to talk to and love to meet. Even if I don't consider all of them my friends some of them really are very important to me and I am glad to have them in my life. It is great to have someone who has the same interests but I am not interested in being friends with a "model" but with the person behind it.
Just the fact that you like to dress up and to take pictures doesn't mean that you need to be arrogant. Many people only see the photos and don't understand how much work it is to get there - if they knew it they might think differently.



And by the way: This might come as a surprise to some of you but I am not looking for a boyfriend, a husband, a slave or anything similar. Especially when you get mails like "You are beautiful, that's why I would like to get to know you" it is not that motivating. Also it wouldn't help to tell me how rich you are or to pay 1000 € to meet me. It really is kind of creepy and I only want to hang out with people I know from real life. People who like me for my personality, not for my photos. Because well, it is one thing to post pictures on the internet but it is another thing to share my every day life stuff with people I don't know at all ;)


=)

1 Kommentar

  1. The Emerald girl in Spanish, you got the eyes to go with the name, in Carlos Castaneda books , there is a character named La Esmeralda who was a powerful witch, or sorceress. You look fabulous.

    AntwortenLöschen